Help with housing costs 2016-17 Volume 2: Guide to housing benefit
This volume covers the rules across Great Britain for help with personal housing costs available through housing benefit. This guide is designed to run side by side with volume 1 which covers universal credit and council tax rebates. Together they provide a comprehensive guide covering all the main schemes for help with housing costs in the UK. Written in a plain English style it is designed for easy use by tenants, homeowners, local councils, social landlords, welfare rights advisers, tribunal members and housing professionals.
This new edition has been fully revised and updated to incorporate all the changes over the past year, including the April 2016 uprating. It provides answers to some of the most frequent problems and issues and explains all the new rules starting from April, including:
- changes arising from the July 2015 Budget and 2015 Autumn Statement, including the demise of the family premium and limited backdating
- the local housing allowance (LHA) national caps and size limits
- the treatment of rent and service charges for all non-LHA claims
- the social sector size criteria ('the bedroom tax') including developments in case law
- the household benefits cap, including exemptions
- the special rules for certain supported housing ('exempt accommodation')
- guidance on the discretionary housing payments scheme
- the changing eligibility rules and case law developments for nationals of the European Nationals and migrants from other non-European states
- the gradual transition and transfer of housing benefit claims to universal credit.
Purchasing this publication
This publication is not available for purchase via CIH. Hit the button below to visit the Shelter site where the publication is available, make sure to input the discount code 1617CIH15 or 1617CIH25 if purchasing both books to let them know you came from our website!
Please note - the grey buttons on this page will not work, the publication is only available for purchase by following the purple button to our partner site. Thanks!